Turkey, check. Mashed potatoes, check. Green bean casserole, check. Now that you have all the bird and accompanying sides prepared for your big Thanksgiving Day meal, have you considered the finger foods that will serve as a prelude to the feast itself? If you haven’t thought much on the topic of appetizers – and, who could blame you when there’s so much to think about during this holiday? – consider making these Bacon-Wrapped Dates with Goat Cheese. Sweet, salty, and creamy, this appetizer is unique yet beloved by many American families across the nation. Give it a whirl in 2020 by following the ingredient list and instructions below:
• 16 slices bacon (I find that thin bacon works better)
• 32 dates
• 8-ounce goat cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Slice the dates lengthwise on one side to create an opening. Remove the pit.
3. Using a spoon, stuff a small amount of goat cheese into the cavity of each date and press the sides together to close.
4. Cut the bacon slices in half. Wrap each date with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
5. Arrange evenly on a baking sheet with raised edges, otherwise, grease will get everywhere, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the dates and use the toothpick to turn each one so it’s laying on its side. Bake for another 5-8 minutes, until browned to your liking, and turn the dates to the other side and repeat.
6. Remove from the oven, place on a paper towel-lined plate, and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Mix-up something scrumptious with this special recipe provided to you by Sommerall Station Apartments in Houston, Texas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!